Did you know that kids should be visiting the dentist regularly beginning as early as 12 months? Experts recommend that dental visits begin by age 1 or as soon as your child’s first tooth appears.
Oral hygiene is an important part of your child’s overall health and hygiene. Regular dental visits can help screen for potential issues, get your child used to cleanings and exams, establish a good relationship with your child’s dentist, and set a healthy foundation for the future. We’ve compiled a quick guide to the benefits of regularly scheduled dental visits.
Why Are Regular Dental Visits Importance?
There are many benefits to regular pediatric dental visits, including:
- Building healthy habits – Kids who visit the dentist often will begin to build a foundation of caring for their teeth that should carry over into adulthood. Dental visits help teach a child how to properly care for their mouth and teeth, as well as encourage them to report any pain or discomfort to their parents and caregivers.
- Establish a healthy relationship with medical providers – Many adults have a fear of visiting the dentist, but regular pediatric dental visits can help create a healthy respect for the importance of dental health and oral hygiene that should last a lifetime. The actions that parents take today can help set the stage for their children’s health and wellness in the future. When kids trust their dentist, they are more likely to cooperate and participate in their own oral health and hygiene.
- Catching issues early – Early intervention is key when it comes to dental issues, especially orthodontic problems. Regular dental visits can help ensure that any potential problems are caught and treated early on. Many dental problems become more costly and complex to fix as your child gets older. Getting prompt evaluation and treatment by a dental professional while your child is still growing can lead to improved patient outcomes and significant financial savings.
- Help parents gain information – Your child’s dental visits aren’t just for them. Regular dental visits give parents and caregivers the opportunity to learn more about their children’s oral health, ask questions, sample new products, and alleviate any fears or concerns. Pediatric dentists can assist families in receiving the proper diagnosis and treatment of any dental issues, while educating parents on proper childhood oral hygiene and best practices. Dentists are a valuable source of parental guidance on everything from the best ways to prevent cavities to how to get your child to brush their teeth.
- Prevents cavities and tooth decay – Research shows that the earlier regular dental visits begin, the lower the chance of tooth decay in children. Dentists can also take steps to freeze or even reverse tooth decay through fillings, the use of silver nitrate with a fluoride varnish, and other treatments.
To ensure that your child receives all the benefits of proper oral hygiene, make sure to schedule regular dental visits beginning at age 1. Regular pediatric appointments are important, too! Give us a call today to schedule a consultation with a pediatrician in Arvada, CO.